Laser Plates are heat exchanger plates that can be used in many ways for the industrial heating or cooling of your product. As the inventor of the laser welding machine for these Laser Plates, Omega Thermo Products has an unprecedented amount of experience in the production of Laser Plates.
These laser welded plates have endless applications in different industries. Omega Laser Plates are used on tanks, for example in the production of cooling milk, soft drinks, wine or beer. But also various other sectors use our plates. For example, the meat processing industry, the chemical industry and the pharmaceutical industry.
What is a Laser Plate?
A Laser Plate consists of two stainless steel sheets that are welded together by welding a circle pattern with Omega’s laser welding machines. At the edges of the Laser Plate, a contour is welded to create a pressure-tight barrier. The plates are inflated with water or nitrogen, usually after they have been implemented into the final product, to create a hollow space through which the heating or cooling medium can flow.
Design (single or double embossed)
A Laser Plate design is always custom-made. At first we look at your desired application. Do you need a plate with pillows on one side and a smooth surface on the other (for example, applications for cooling milk tanks or heating/cooling applications in the food or the pharmaceutical industry), then choose a single embossed Laser Plate. The smooth, flat side is suitable for hygienic surfaces on the inside of the tank. You can do the inflation yourself, or one of our engineers can accompany you.
If you don’t need a smooth side and you want to use both sides of the heat transfer plate you can opt for a plate with pillows on both sides. You will receive the plate inflated and if required, assembled as a complete heat exchanger.
We also put these double embossed plates in our coolers, such as the Falling Film Chiller, Ice Bank, Ice Machine and Immersion Products.
• Cost-effective due to low welding costs
• Thinner materials can be used, saving you on material costs
• The Laser Plate welding pattern guarantees high turbulence and high overall heat transfer coefficients
• Reduced deposition (algae, lime, etc.) due to this higher turbulence (less fouling)
• Due to the low volume in the plate, lower volumes of heating/cooling fluid needs to be circulated. As a result, less pump capacity is required.
• By working with laser welding machines that are CNC-programmed, all desired shapes, recesses, fastening points and connections are possible
We are ready to help you with a heat transfer calculation!
The material grade, thicknesses, spot pattern and pressure, depends on your desired application and capacity. Our engineers are happy to work along with you on the possibilities including calculations for you.
We are able to manufacture Laser Plates from stainless steel:
• Austenitic material (304, 304L, 316, 316L, 317, 321)
• (Super) duplex materials (2205, 2507, 2304, LDX-2101)
• Nickel alloys (Nickel, Hastelloy, Inconel)
If you would like to use other materials, please contact one of our engineers.
Thickness single embossed
14ga on 22ga
12ga on 22ga, 20ga
10ga on 22ga, 20ga, 10ga
7ga/ 3/16” on 20ga,18ga, 16ga,
¼” on 18ga, 16ga, 14ga
5/16” on 18ga, 16ga, 14ga
3/8” on 16ga, 14ga
½” on 16ga, 14ga
Thickness double embossed
Our Laser Plates can handle a pressure of more than 1500 psi, depending on the required design temperature. If you have specific requirements, please email one of our engineers. Omega’s standard design pressure is 150 psi at 400/-20 °F.
The applications for Laser Plates are endless for heating and cooling. Below you will find an overview of different applications. If you have specific requirements, please email one of our engineers.
• Heating/cooling of beer tanks
• Heating/cooling of wine tanks
• Heating/cooling of milk tanks
• Heating/cooling process tanks
• Heating/cooling of transport screws
• Heating/cooling of flat surfaces in general
• Falling Film Chillers
• Immersion Products
• Ice banks
• Ice machines
• Clamp-on jackets
• Heating and cooling panels
• Heat recovery installations
Omega can supply Laser Plates and complete chillers with the following qualifications:
• ASME U-Stamp
If you are interested in further technical information, please contact us.